Estate Planning, divorce lawyers peoria il.#Divorce #lawyers #peoria #il


Trusts and Estates

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question

Divorce lawyers peoria il

There is no way to answer this question in this forum; there s way too much information that would need to be reviewed by the attorney. But the short answer is Maybe the disclosure would be sufficie . Read more

Divorce lawyers peoria il

Of course proof must be presented.

Divorce lawyers peoria il

Sir/Madam You need to see if the final will you are referring to was the final will deposited with the court. Probate procedures require that all beneficiaries receive Notice of Admini . Read more

See more Trusts And Estates Questions

My grandmother bought me a home, but did not leave it to me in her will

Blog posted 3 weeks ago in Trusts and Estates by William R. Pelger

Q: As I stated above, my grandmother bought me a home to live in, which I have been in for almost 4 years. It is not stated in her will that she leaves the home to me and now her children want to kick . Read more

Rights of a Beneficiary

Blog posted 3 weeks ago in Trusts and Estates by W. Robert Price

With smaller estates, it is usually sufficient to rely on a Will to ensure a loved one s property is distributed according to his or her wishes. When dealing with assets around $150,000 or . Read more

What information must a beneficiary provide to the administrator?

Blog posted 2 months ago in Trusts and Estates by William R. Pelger

Q: I am the named beneficiary and I inherited my friend s life insurance and 401k. The estate administrator is requesting I provide him with information regarding those accounts/policies so that . Read more

Can I Make Mom Pay for College from Dad s Life Insurance?

Dear Ms. Allison: How can I make my mom pay for my college with my dad s life insurance money? They ve been divorced for 17 years and he died 2 years ago. Now that I m 21, she won #8 . Read more

Whate do I do with the 1099-S from the sale of deceased mom s home.

Blog posted 2 months ago in Trusts and Estates by William R. Pelger

Q: The county valued the house at $131,100 and it sold for $129,900. Doesn t this count as a loss and therefore not income? A: Form 1099-S is used to report gross proceeds from the sale and exch . Read more

See more (344 Blogs on Trusts And Estates)

Get Professional Help

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you is part of the Martindale Network

Copyright 2017 Internet Brands, Inc. The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or should be formed by use of the site. The attorney listings on the site are paid attorney advertisements. Your access of/to and use of this site is subject to additional Supplemental Terms.

Law Office of Horan McLean – Home – New Bedford, MA #attorney #kathleen #horan #mclean, #divorce #mediation,new #bedford, #bristol #county, #dartmouth, #fall #river, #fairhaven, #acushnet, #westport, #attleboro, #new #bedford #divorce #mediation, #divorce #lawyer #in #bristol #county, #divorce #lawyer, #new #bedford #law #firm, #divorce #lawyer #for #mediaiton, #new #bedford #lawyer, #lawyer, #attorney, #law #office #of #horan #mclean


We offer representation in the following areas of practice:

  • Divorce and Family Law including Guardianships, Divorce Lawyer
  • Estate Planning attorney: Wills and Estates, including Administration of Estates in the Probate Court, New Bedford Estate Planning Attorney
  • Personal Injury: Auto/motorcycle Accidents, slip fall injury, medical malpractice, product liability, New Bedford Personal Injury Attorney
  • Civil Litigation: Contract and business disputes, New Bedford civil law attorney, New Bedford Labor Law attorney
  • Real Estate matters
  • Bankruptcy

  • Business representation: including formation of business entity, purchase and sale issues, through business litigation
  • Divorce Mediation: Certified Mediator on site, compassionate, peaceful resolution of your divorce
  • Criminal representation: Excellent advocacy
  • Short-term and long-term assistance
  • ongoing assistance and support

Saturday/Evening by appointment

For our client s convenience: you can now pay your invoice on line, simply click the link below: We thank you for the trust you have placed in us and look forward to serving your legal needs.

(Law Office of Horan McLean, New Bedford Bankruptcy Lawyer, New Bedford Estate Planning and Administration, New Bedford Personal injury motor vehicle accident, New Bedford Divorce mediation, New Bedford Bristol and Plymouth County lawyer, New Bedford Business law, Personal Injury lawyer, New Bedford Lawyer for divorce, divorce lawyer, divorce attorney, Bristol County Lawyers ,New Bedford Bankruptcy Lawyer, Bankruptcy Attorney, mediation in divorce, personal injury lawyer, New Bedford Estate Planning and Administration,New Bedford Personal injury motor vehicle accident,New Bedford Divorce Mediation,New Bedford Bristol and Plymouth County lawyer,New Bedford Business Law, New Bedford Lawyer for Divorce, Bristol County Lawyer, Dartmouth Divorce and Family Law, Fall River Divorce and Family Law, Fall River Bankruptcy Attorney, Dartmouth Lawyers, Based in New Bedford, Mediation in Divorce, personal injury lawyer, Estate Planning Attorney, bankruptcy attorney,Massachusetts, we serve clients throughout eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including Attleboro, Braintree, Bridgewater, Brockton, Canton, Carver, Dartmouth, Dedham, East Bridgewater, Easton, Fall River, Foxboro, Franklin, Hanover, Hingham, Mansfield, Middleborough, Milton, Needham, New Bedford, North Attleboro, Norton, Norwood, Pembroke, Raynham, Plymouth, Quincy, Randolph, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Sharon, Somerset, Stoughton, Swansea, Taunton, Walpole, Wareham, Westport, Weymouth, and other communities in Plymouth County, Norfolk County and Bristol County.)

Las Vegas Divorce Lawyers – Local Attorneys & Law Firms in Las Vegas, NV #divorce #attorneys #las #vegas


Las Vegas Divorce Lawyers, Attorneys and Law Firms – Nevada

Facing Divorce or Legal Separation?

You’ve come to the right place. If you are considering an annulment, legal separation, or divorce, a divorce lawyer can help.

Use FindLaw to hire a local divorce lawyer to work with you on issues like community property division, debt allocation, child custody and support, alimony, and tax considerations.

Need an attorney in Las Vegas, Nevada?

FindLaw’s Lawyer Directory is the largest online directory of attorneys. Browse more than one million listings, covering everything from criminal defense to personal injury to estate planning.

Detailed law firm profiles have information like the firm’s area of law, office location, office hours, and payment options. Attorney profiles include the biography, education and training, and client recommendations of an attorney to help you decide who to hire.

Use the contact form on the profiles to connect with a Las Vegas, Nevada attorney for legal advice.

How do I choose a lawyer?

Consider the following:
Comfort Level – Are you comfortable telling the lawyer personal information? Does the lawyer seem interested in solving your problem?
Credentials – How long has the lawyer been in practice? Has the lawyer worked on other cases similar to yours?
Cost – How are the lawyer’s fees structured – hourly or flat fee? Can the lawyer estimate the cost of your case?
City – Is the lawyer’s office conveniently located?

Not sure what questions to ask a lawyer?

Here are a few to get you started:

  • How long have you been in practice?
  • How many cases like mine have you handled?
  • How often do you settle cases out of court?
  • What are your fees and costs?
  • What are the next steps?

Want to check lawyer discipline?

South Florida Divorce Attorney #divorce #attorneys, #child #support #lawyer, #divorce #law #firm


South Florida Family Attorneys

Going through a divorce can be a draining time financially and emotionally for both parties. That is why the South Florida Family Attorneys at Harold Weissman, PA are here to help you get through these difficult time in your life. Our goals are to guide you through processes, provide you with an understanding of the legal issues, and to help you avoid costly legal consequences. We are an experienced Family Law Firm and handle cases throughout the Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach county areas.

In all cases, we will do our best to narrow and settle the issues before proceeding to trial, you can assure yourself that if situations do proceed to court or in front of your ex-spouse, you are making a wise choice in choosing our law firm to represent you.

Harold Weissman, PA is mainly focused on family law practice matters, but we also handle Criminal Cases and Bankruptcy. Our background in the fields of Criminal and Bankruptcy legal cases, allow us to practice law in these areas with the confidence necessary to handle the legal situation, as best as possible. Here are the legal practices that we cater to in our firm:

Our goal in providing this website is to introduce ourselves online and provide you with information to best equip you with the information to make a decision on whether to move forward with a legal matter or not. Our law firm always welcomes questions and we provide free consultations for anyone who would like to ask their questions via phone or at our Plantation, FL law office. Please feel free to contact us to set up a consultation, based upon your individual needs.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Virginia Reckless Driving Lawyer #virginia #reckless #driving #lawyer,virginia #abogado #reckless #driving,virginia #divorce #lawyer


Fairfax County CourtsAlexandria CourtsArlington Courts – Prince William County Courts – Loudoun County Courts – Vienna Courts – Falls Church Courts – Fairfax City CourtsHerndon Courts – Berryville – Clarke – Culpeper – Dale City – Fauquier – Franconia – Frederick – Fredericksburg – Front Royal – Gainesville – Haymarket – Leesburg – Lorton – Madison – Manassas – Occoquan – Rappahannock – Spotsylvania – Stafford – Sterling – Warren – Warrenton – Winchester


(Divorce, Child Support, Name Change, Many More)

Our experienced Virginia Family Lawyers and Virginia Divorce Lawyer have assisted clients with representation of their legal family matters, to include divorce, child support, child custody, adoption, visitation rights, prenuptial agreements, name change and many more. Our Virginia Family Attorneys will make sure to listen to your case and provide you with legal representation, where in most cases a fixed legal fee can be arranged.

Take advantage of our initial phone consultation and call us at 703.786.8340 to discuss your legal matter. Below are the services we have asides clients with:




American Lawyers Group, PLLC, has experienced Virginia Divorce Lawyer that will review your case and provide you legal representation in Virginia.

Our Experienced Virginia Traffic Attorneys Will Provide a Defense Strategy To Fight Your Traffic Violations Tickets:

Traffic cases we have assisted client with:







Let our Virginia attorneys fight your Virginia Reckless Driving violation. A Virginia Reckless Driving Violation is a Criminal Offence, that will effect your DMV record, you chances to be hired for some government jobs, your clearances. In some cases you can be jailed and have your license suspended. Our attorneys have defended clients in the following Virginia General District Courts – Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax County, City of Falls Church, Loudon County, Prince William County and many other Virginia Counties.

Our attorneys will fight your Virginia Reckless Driving, Virginia DUI, Virginia DWI, Virginia Driving With Suspended Dispense, All Virginia Traffic Violations. If you don’t speak English our staff speaks Spanish, and our Virginia Abogado Reckless Driving will make sure to provide a defense strategy.


(Employment, Family Investor Based Immigration)

Our Immigration Attorneys Handle All your Employment and Family Based Visa Requests, to include transfers and extensions:

B-1 (Temporary Visitor for Business)

B-2 (Temporary Visitor for Pleasure)

M-1 (Vocational Student)

H-1b (Specialty Occupation)

H-2b (Temporary and Seasonal Worker)

L-1a (International Company Executive and Manager)

L-1b (International Company Specialized Knowledge)

E-2 (Investor and Essential Workers)

E-2 corporation formation sale and purchase contract:

E-2 corporation formation, sale and purchase contract business plan:

E-1 (Treaty Trader)

R-1 (Religious Worker)

J-1 Waiver application

Green Card Employment Based

Green Card Family Based

EB5 Green Card though Investor Visa

Our Immigration Attorneys have years of experience representing clients in all immigration cases. Whether you are a corporation transferring employees from another country or an individual filing for H1 transfer, we have experienced immigration attorneys that will provide their legal advise and represent you in front of USCIS (United States Citizens and Immigration Services).

2013 American Lawyers Group, PLLC v112813 * Price does not include: federal, 2+ offense or habitual offender, felony, appeals, dui, dwi, post trials, accidents, experts, injury, circuit court cases, speeds over 90 miles, or speeds over 30 miles of posted speed limits, jury trials, continued cases, cases requiring a motion to waive appearance, cases which the court date is within 10 business days. For more information call 703.786.8340.

Website powered by Network Solutions

A Trusted Divorce – Family Law Firm #newport #beach #divorce #attorney, #newport #beach #divorce #attorney #orange #county #california


Robert Glasser,
Divorce Lawyer

Did you know most divorce disputes eventually settle? Couples, like you, are relying on themselves, and with divorce lawyer help, to negotiate outcomes both can live with.

To educate and enable couples to make their own divorce decisions, NDA offers one-lawyer-divorce services. Or, if you must have a judge decide, Robert Glasser offers over 40 years of trial experience. Call (949) 752-2727. Talk with him directly.

Robert Glasser is a UCLA Law School honors graduate, serving Orange County couples in divorce since 1972.


Since starting a private practice of law in Orange County in 1972, Robert Glasser has represented thousands of Husbands and thousands of Wives or mediated for them and their families to obtain results that work. Have Robert s time tested legal wisdom and caring guide you too. Read More


Newport Divorce Attorney (NDA) helps clients, like you, based on the education (UCLA School of Law), training, skills, and success of Robert Glasser. He and his firm have completed thousands of family law cases, obtaining success for clients in the court room and the California Supreme Court. NDA can promptly find answers to your crucial questions: what are the issues? What is the law? And where, and how strong is the evidence that will decide them? Read More


Experience and Expertise mean little without the advantage of Accessibility. We want to serve you, we return clients’ calls promptly – the same business day for calls before 4pm, and within 24 hours for later ones. The same, prompt-reply policy applies to emails. You may make Appointments M – F 8am to 6pm. Some Saturday appointments are also available. With our offices near John Wayne Airport and near Mission Viejo. Read More

Orange County Divorce Lawyer, Christian Family Law Attorneys #orange #county #divorce #attorney, #orange #county #divorce #lawyer, #irvine #divorce #lawyers, #orange #divorce #attorney, #joseph #p. #downs


Why should you choose
Joseph P. Downs?

Joseph P. Downs was born and raised in Michigan. Mr. Downs graduated from Eastern Michigan University with an Economics degree and received his Juris Doctorate degree from Western State University School of Law in Fullerton, California. For the past two decades, Mr. Downs has successfully assisted thousands of clients in the resolution and settlement of their family law matters.

Mr. Downs is a member of the Orange County Bar Association, Family Law Section and has been appointed by the Orange County Superior Court as Orange County Alternate public defender in the defense of family law contempt cases before the Orange County Courts.

His professional articles have been featured in Orange County Lawyer Magazine. Mr. Downs is licensed to practice in all Courts in California, the U.S. District Courts, and the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts.

As a top Christian attorney in Orange County, California, We offer the best possible family law services to our clients.


Joseph Downs has gained the highest respect of the Family Court and the legal community as an experienced Orange County divorce lawyer. Attorney Downs has successfully tried and settled thousands of cases with favorable results for his clients. You can set up an initial Free 30 minute in office consultation with family law attorney Joseph P. Downs to discuss your case.

Service Areas

Irvine, CA

7700 Irvine Center Drive, Suite 800 Irvine, CA 92618

New York Divorce FAQs #divorce #attorney #new #york


New York Divorce FAQs

What are the Grounds for a Divorce in New York?

New York recognizes both fault and no-fault grounds for divorce. In a fault divorce, one spouse will claim that the other spouse engaged in some misconduct, which led to the divorce.

The fault grounds in New York include the following:

  • cruel and inhuman treatment, such as mental or physical abuse
  • abandonment for one or more years
  • imprisonment for three or more years, and
  • adultery.

These fault grounds don’t typically influence a judge s decisions regarding alimony and property division. But other types of bad behavior, such as one spouse’s waste of assets, may affect an alimony award and the final distribution of assets. In addition, courts may consider more egregious misconduct, such as a history of abuse, when making custody decisions.

In a “no-fault” divorce, there is no need to point a finger or blame your spouse for the break up. You don’t have to provide a specific reason for the split and can base your divorce on any of the following grounds:

  • the “irretrievable breakdown” of the marriage (this is just another way of saying you and your spouse can’t get along anymore) for a period of at least six months
  • living apart for a period of one or more years, after a judgment of separation, or
  • living apart for a period of one or more years pursuant to a separation agreement.

Can I Represent Myself?

Yes. You can represent yourself, but that s not always the best idea. If you have a very straightforward divorce case (for example, you don t have children, don t have many assets to divide, don t expect to pay or receive alimony, and agree with your spouse on most issues), you may feel fairly comfortable representing yourself.

If, however, you and your spouse can t resolve issues on your own, or if your case involves complex financial or custody issues, it s best to consult with an experienced family law attorney. Divorce laws regarding custody, property division, and alimony (also referred to as spousal support or maintenance ) are complex. If you have a complicated case, but don t know how to represent yourself and protect your rights, it would be wise to consult with an experienced professional.

Divorcing Without a Lawyer

Many people get divorced without the added cost of an attorney, but it’s not right for everyone. To learn the basics about doing your own divorce, and the important issues you’ll need to consider, see Ten Tips for a Do-It-Yourself Divorce .

How Long Must I Reside in New York Before I can Begin my Divorce Action?

You can file for divorce in New York if one of the following applies to your case:

  • you and your spouse were married in New York, and at least one of you has been a resident of New York for at least one year before the start of the divorce
  • you and your spouse resided in New York as husband and wife, and at least one of you has been a resident of New York for at least one year before the start of the divorce
  • the grounds for divorce occurred in New York, and at least one of you has been a resident of New York for at least one year before the start of the divorce
  • the grounds for divorce occurred in New York, and both you and your spouse are residents of New York at the start of the divorce, or
  • at least one of you has been a resident of New York for at least two years immediately before the start of the divorce.

Will the Public Have Access to the Divorce Papers I File in Court?

No. In recognition of the very personal nature of divorce proceedings, New York law keeps matrimonial matters private by prohibiting the court clerks and court reporters from allowing anyone, other than spouses or their attorneys, to examine or copy any of the legal paperwork filed in divorce court (e.g. pleadings, affidavits, findings of fact, conclusions of law, judgments of dissolution, and written agreements of separation).

How Much Will a Divorce Cost?

It s impossible to predict how much a divorce will cost, but a few things are certain. First, whether or not you represent yourself, you will have to pay court fees, which are charged every time you file a petition or other legal paperwork with the court. Check the New York State Unified Court System s website for a current list of filing fees in New York.

Second, if you hire an attorney, you (or your spouse) will have to pay attorney s fees. Divorce lawyers in the New York area charge hourly fees that start at around $175 per hour and go up to $450 an hour for the most experienced experts in the field.

Third, if you have substantial assets, you may need to hire experts that charge hourly rates in addition to your attorney s fees. Experts may be necessary for the following:

  • to provide advice about the financial consequences of your proposed settlement agreement
  • to value your (or your spouse’s) business, professional degree, professional license, retirement benefits or a pension
  • to provide an appraisal of personal property such as wine, fine art, jewelry and other collectibles, or
  • to provide an appraisal of real estate.

Additional expenses and costs may be incurred for transcripts (e.g. wirtten transcripts of depositions or court hearings), or for serving legal documents, such as subpoenas.

As you can see, various factors play a role in determining how much your divorce will cost. The more complex your case is, the more likely it is that you ll need to hire an attorney and/or expert(s). And, if you and your spouse can’t resolve divorce-related issues, you ll probably end up in a costly court battle, which will certainly increase your legal fees. So, while it s difficult to predict, most attorneys will agree that a highly-contested divorce with numerous issues or substantial assets can become quite expensive.

Is It Possible To Terminate Long-Term Spousal Support? #divorce #attorneys #sacramento


Is It Possible To Terminate Long-Term Spousal Support?

Many clients approach me and ask if it is possible to terminate spousal support.

Often times these people were previously married for a long duration and have been paying a significant amount of support for several years, and sometimes for many years.

Often times these people were told by their prior counsel that they would have to pay spousal support for many years, and they feel as if there is no hope for terminating support.

Often times people have been to several attorneys prior to me who have told them there is no hope of ending spousal support.

Usually after I review the judgment or marital settlement agreement as well as the case history I am able to ascertain a multi-pronged strategy to terminate or at least reduce spousal support.

Furthermore, several recent appellate court decisions have emphasized the concept that spousal support is temporary in nature, and that even in marriages of long duration, spousal support should eventually come to and end. I keep abreast of all these cases and legal developments and will inform you of how they apply during our consultation.

My strategy usually commences by reviewing the judgment of dissolution. I ascertain what the judgment says about the parties’ marital standard of living as well as the length and duration of support and the modifiability thereof. Oftentimes where clients will think support is non modifiable it may in fact be changed.

I look to see whether there has been a “gavron warning” and admonition that the court often makes requiring the supported spouse to become self-supporting within a reasonable period of time. Where the duration of the marriage is less than ten years a spouse is expected to be self-supporting within half the length of the marriage as measured between the date of marriage and date of separation. However, a marriage with a duration of more than ten years has no such time rule.

Many attorneys and spouses believe that California has lifetime support for parties whose marriage exceeds ten years. These people are wrongly informed! Family code section 4320 as well as several appellate cases emphasize that even in marriages of greater than ten years the spouse has a duty to become self supporting as soon as reasonably possible.

I always look to see what the supported spouse has done to work towards self sufficiency since they have separated. Whether it has been two years or ten years after the divorce, the supported spouse had better be making some efforts towards paying their way.

If they have in fact increased their earnings, we will bring this out in court, and argue that there is less need for support. If they have not been making any efforts towards working, we will ask for the spouse to undergo a vocational examination so as to ascertain their ability to contribute towards their own support. If there has been no gavron warning in that past, we immediately ask for one– a warning that the supported spouse needs to become self sufficient.

Oftentimes the supporting spouse is concerned that their income has increased significantly since the time of the divorce and that they will have to pay more support. Pursuant to the law, it is the martial standard of living that governs and increased income for the supporting spouse must not be taken into account. Post-separation increases in income for the supporting spouse may not be used as a basis for increased spousal support. In re Marriage of Hoffmeister [Hoffmeister II] (1987) 191 Cal.App.3d 351, 236 Cal.Rptr. 543.

Cohabitation may also be the basis for seeking a decreased spousal support award. Family Code section 4323(a)(1) provides that “there is a rebuttable presumption, affecting the burden of proof, of decreased need for spousal support if the supported party is cohabiting with a person of the opposite sex . . This statute is interpreted to apply where the supported spouse is cohabitating in a romantic relationship with a person of the opposite sex. Cohabitation can be difficult to prove.

Other recent California appellate court decisions have held that here is an absolute right for the supporting spouse to retire at age 65.

Another recent decision held that where a spouse has sufficient separate property assets, or where she receives such assets in a settlement, the court must take them into account and if they are sufficient to meet her needs, spousal support is not appropriate. Furthermore, the courts have held that liquid assets held by a supported spouse should be attributed a fair rate of return and considered for purposes of reducing or terminating spousal support.

The general nature of the appellate court decisions is to cut back on the long term nature of spousal support. These new court decisions seem to open many opportunities to reduce or terminate spousal support.

Each individual case that I review has its own specific facts and the above discussion is general in nature, and not intended to constitute legal advice. If you have questions as to how to terminate or modify your spousal support order I would be more than happy to meet with you to review your court orders and give you a detailed analysis on how to proceed.

10 Things to Know About Divorce for Florida Residents #tampa #divorce #attorneys


10 Things to Know About Divorce for Florida Residents

If you are considering a divorce, there are a few things about divorce for Florida residents that you should know before consulting your attorney. These will save you both time and money.

One: Requirements for Florida Divorces

If you or your spouse has decided to file for divorce in Florida, at least one of you must be a resident of the state or a member of an armed force stationed in the state. If both you and your spouse agree that there are “irreconcilable differences,” and there should be a divorce, you can agree in writing to end the marriage. If one of you denies that the marriage is broken beyond repair or you have a child, the court may order counseling with a marriage counselor, priest or rabbi, or psychologist for up to three months.

Two: How to Begin the Process of Divorce for Florida Residents

Also called a “dissolution” of the marriage, Florida divorces legally begin when you or your spouse files a “Petition for Dissolution of Marriage” with the Family Department of the local circuit court. The court serves the other spouse with the paperwork and gives him or her time to respond. If both you and your spouse agree on how to divide property, debt and responsibilities for any children, the divorce can be finalized without a trial. Otherwise, the court will assign a time for a hearing.

Three: Marital Assets

Any assets and debts amassed during the marriage, referred to as “marital assets,” will be divided “equitably,” or fairly, upon divorce. Any assets you had before marriage may be considered “non-marital assets” if they were kept separated from property acquired during the marriage. You and your spouse can each retain your non-marital assets.

Four: Dividing of Marital Property

Judges will divide assets equally, unless there is a basis for unequal distribution. The judge will consider both you and your spouses economic circumstances and the contributions each of you made to the marriage (including care for children and your marital home). If either you or your spouse wants to keep your marital home to live in with a child from the marriage, that may also be a factor for unequal distribution.

Five: Alimony

Alimony is an extension of the obligation for spouses to support each other financially during the marriage. In divorce laws in Florida, a court can order alimony if it is “well-founded.” Factors the courts will look at include: the standard of living during the marriage; the length of the marriage; and the age and physical condition of each spouse.

Six: Custody

If you and your spouse cant come to an agreement on child custody, the court will make a decision based on what is in the “best interests” of the child. Unless there is a reason that it would be detrimental to your childs upbringing, the court will usually grant shared responsibility. Sometimes the court will give one parent responsibility over specific aspects of a childs welfare, such as primary residence, education or medical care. The court will consider the moral fitness of you and your spouse as parents, your abilities to provide for the child and the preference of the child, among other factors.

Seven: Child Support

Divorce laws in Florida include child support guidelines that judges use to figure out the support needed for a child and how much each parent has to pay. The court looks at both parents incomes and the childs health and child care costs. Floridas standard needs table lists support amounts based on the childs age and the parents income. The court can also set aside joint or separate assets of the parents in a trust or fund for future support and education for the children.

Eight: Documents You Will Need

The court will need to know about all of your assets in order to divide them. Make copies of tax returns, bank statements, mortgage documents and any other financial information possible. This will save you time and money down the road. You should also take inventory of your major household and family possessions. A detailed household budget will help the court determine how much temporary support can be paid as well as if either you or your spouse can realistically afford your marital home on your own.

Nine Debts

Any debt incurred before the marriage, such as educational debt, is not considered while dividing debts. Like assets, the debts will be divided equitably. If you have a mortgage, the court may order both of you to split the debt; if you stay in the home, the mortgage may be restructured to make you the sole owner and borrower.

Ten: Taxes

It is important to think about how a divorce, for Florida residents, will change your taxes. Property transfers, taxability of alimony payments and dependency deductions for children may all affect your tax filing status. Working with an accountant along with your lawyer will help you avoid making mistakes you may not be able to fix after the divorce.